[Gllug] Are IP Aliases a security risk?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Jul 5 14:37:32 UTC 2003

Hi All,

Currently, each machine on my lan is dual-homed, with two NIC's so that
internal traffic runs over a switched 100Mb network, and external connections
go to a gateway via a 10Mb hub (then to a 512ADSL, so there's little if any
speed impact.)

To be honest, the dual cabling and config is getting a bit onerous to
administer and maintain (often getting the physical connections swapped, etc)
so I was wondering...

Instead of havin two NIC's:

eth0: GREEN: 192.168.x.y (internal, for NIS, nfs etc; no 'firewall' on this
interface)
eth1: RED: 10.a.b.c (via DHCP, external through gateway running NAT and
packetfilter; each machine having packet filter on the interface as well)

I can have:

eth0 [= eth0, above]
eth0:1 [= eth1, above]

My questions are:

A) Does this raise any security issues which aren't present in the dual-NIC
setup?
B) How much speed impact might I expect assuming I was using the 100Mb switch?
C) At the moment, some machines are configured so that one or other interface
is not started at boot (e.g. the nfs server does not start eth1 unless I do
it manually for a software update, the machine which the lodgers use for web
surfing doesn't start eth0 so they have no internal network access) Can I
start eth0:1 without eth0?

Any other comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dylan

--
Sweet moderation