[Gllug] Browsing a SAMBA machine from Windoze

Steve Rochford Steve.Rochford at cnwl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 16:05:53 UTC 2003

If you look in event viewer on the Windows 2000 machines do you see any
entries about the Linux machines claiming to be a master browser and
forcing an election? The lines "local master=yes" "domain master=yes"
and "preferred master=yes" are telling the machine that it should be a
master browser; ideally you only want one master browser and it might be
easier to let the Windows machine be the browser.

When you open network neighbourhood you're looking at a list which has
been built by the browse process on the master browser; if everything is
trying to be a master browser then it's very likely that no machine will
successfully win the election and so no browse list appears.

Steve