[Gllug] backup solution

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 20:38:49 UTC 2003

At 22:40 +0100 2003/07/08, Doug Winter wrote:

>The only problem I found with it is that the things you back up
>(generally partitions) need to be smaller than a single tape.  There's
>some kind of project in the works to remove this limitation, but I can
>quite imagine this requires some significant rearchitecture.

I checked the manual. It seems "dump" can write to several tapes....

<quot>
dump needs accurate information regarding the length and density of the tapes used.  It can dump the filesystem on multiple volumes, but since  there is no way of specifying different sizes for multiple tapes, all tapes used should be at least as long as the specified/default length.

If dump reaches the end of the tape volume unexpectedly (as a result of a longer than actual length specification), it aborts the entire dump. This can be a problem when writing multiple dumps to the same physical tape, or when the tape drive supports hardware compression, and it is not possible to determine the average compression ratio ahead of time. Currently the only solution to this problem in this version of dump is to be	conservative in	specifying capacity.
</quot>

Gordo (living in the past)

Gordo

--