[Gllug] Web filtering

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 20:54:43 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>>/ It's hard to justify your standpoint. The very term "open source"
/>>/ was coined by the same people who wrote the open source definition,
/>>/ to mean software that complies with that definition.
/>/
/>/I'm not sure that was actually the first time the term was used...
/
Tethys writes:
>I am. It was.

I think it was a term originally coined by Christine Peterson at a
meeting organized by Eric Raymond at which Eric
Raymond, Larry Augustin, John 'maddog' Hall and Sam Ockman were also present.
It was subsequently bound to the Debian Free Software Guidelines by Bruce Perens
and thus gave rise to the Open Source Definition.
It is a term denounced by Richard Stallman because it shifts the emphasis
away from freedom issues which lie at the heart of free software as defined by
the Free Software Foundation that he founded.
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk