[Gllug] Broadband modems

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Jul 3 17:20:45 UTC 2003

North London John writes:

>My main concern is with the modem. It has to be Mac OS X and linux (ppc
>and x86) compatible.
>
>Can anyone suggest a particular modem, give general advice on what to
>check for when getting broadband, or recommend sites with such info?

Don't get a modem, get a router. You don't need any drivers, just plug
it into your network, configure your machines to use it as the default
gateway, and you're done.

>And just for the flames, ISDN vs ADSL?

ADSL. There's no reason to use ISDN any more for anything other than
interoperability with others (for example, the advertising industry
still sends copy around over ISDN lines). If you don't have a specific
use for ISDN, go for ADSL. It's cheaper, always on and has far greater
bandwidth.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk