[Gllug] xfstt improves quality of desktop life

Sarah Ewen sarah at thaum.net
Wed Jun 18 15:50:16 UTC 2003

Newer distros may have nice built-in ttf support and gorgeous fonts, but
my browsers and general desktop have never looked that great font-wise because my
box at work is still running Red Hat 7.2. I'm sure I'll re-install it some
day, but until then..

For anyone else still running an older box, install xfstt. I did it today in
my lunchhour and it's like getting a really good new pair of glasses (not
that I wear glasses, I'm guessing). You don't even have to restart X.

I can see!

It's easy, quick (even from tarball), and totally worth it. I switched from
galeon to firebird at the same time and am loving the improvement and readability.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/xfstt/

The only undocumented requirement is to create the /var/cache/xfstt directory
before you run xfstt --sync.

Do it today!

Now you're all laughing at me because you've been using ttf fonts for ages.

Sarah :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk