[Gllug] Network configuration

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Jun 20 07:36:20 UTC 2003

Hi,

I will shortly be getting ADSL (assuming my line tests pass) and with that I
have been given eight ip addresses (although one is the network address and
one the broadcast address).  My ISP has told me that the router they are
sending me will be assigned one of these addresses.  I want to use the other
4 for my own machines behind a firewall machine.
 ----
 ----        |
 ----      --------      ----------      --------
 ----      --------      ----------      --------
 ----        |
| m3 |-------
 ----

I'm slightly worried about the routing on the firewall box.  Presumably I
need to set it's default gateway to be the router and add a route to the
router with a /32 netmask.  Can I then also set the internal interface to
have a /29? netmask even though one of the machines for that network (the
router) is on the external interface?

Does the /32 take precedence over the /29 in routing decisions?

JD

P.S. The firewall is running linux :-)

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk