[Gllug] Re: www.spews.org - spamming blacklist

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 3 12:19:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:52:12PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
>
> > If a spamfilter neither keeps separate copies of the e-mails nor logs
> > their contents then I don't see how it could be considered a privacy
> > violation any more than the local delivery process, especially if it
> > only adds message headers to indicate the likely spam level.  If that's
> > a privacy violation, so are the Received: headers.
>
> It may be a privacy violation due to the fact that it operates on the
> content of the message.
>
> The Received headers are SMTP headers and adding them does not requiring
> any scanning of the message content.

As Tethys pointed out, they are no such thing.  They are informational
headers added to the message body.  At work I have spamassassin set up
to add spam-level headers and make no other changes to the message
contents.  Individual users can then have rules that act on these
headers.  This is no more tampering with the message than the Received
header.

The message body is not the same thing as the message content,
a distinction that may not yet have been tested in court but should be
easy enough to establish should it ever come to it.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk