[Gllug] IDE RAID

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Jun 11 16:53:19 UTC 2003

Richard Cottrill writes:

>Is there a specific requirement for a hardware RAID?
>
>I understand that
>software RAIDs are generally significantly quicker (something to do with
>the outrageous speed of modern processors).

But what do you do when it goes wrong. Software RAID doesn't support
hot swapping a failed drive. I'm not even sure if hardware RAID yet
manages to do this reliably for IDE. It's commonplace for SCSI RAID
arrays, though.

Essentailly, if you care enough about resilience and fault tolerance,
go for a hardware SCSI array. If you just want a cheap, large amount
of RAID protected storage, and can afford some downtime to change
disks in the event of failure, then go for IDE.

The real clincher here is price. IDE is *significantly* cheaper than
SCSI, and unless you really can't afford the downtime (or unless you
need really large amounts of performance and/or capacity), it's hard
to justify the cost of SCSI.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk