[Gllug] lan with SuSE 8.2

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 07:09:32 UTC 2003

On Sat 21 Jun, michael norman wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have two boxes running SuSE 8.2 connected by a vigor 2200E router.  I want
> to enable file and directory sharing as in Windows but all my attempts to set
> up NIS and NFS have failed.  Are these the programmes I should use ?  Can
> somebody give me a simple how to ? Networking is a mystery to me and the more
> I read the more confused I get.  I've tried using the various yast 2 modules
> to no avail, and I don't mind editing config files if I need to.

   You need to tell both boxes where to find the other, easiest for just two
boxes is to edit /etc/hosts or otherwise set up DNS. You also need to set up
access rules. The normal method is to block everything using /etc/hosts/deny
then allow only what you wish in /etc/hosts/allow which is seen first. See
man access

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk