[Gllug] Charge

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sat Jun 14 09:30:18 UTC 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Daniel Ahrens wrote:

> Sorry for being a bit cynical here dudez, but you know the price of plumbers
> but you can't tell the poor bloke how much he should charge for the job. :)
>
> So far the advice is: Don't charge per hour, charge a fixed price. Maybe
> £300.

The reason nobody has given him a firm price to charge is that nobody on
this list (perhaps including Neil) actually knows what is really required
or what Neil thinks his time is worth.

> See what I mean? Maybe that's why the bottom has dropped out of contracting:
> no one is as sure as the plumbers are, how much geeks should charge for
> their blood, guts, sweat and tears.

No, the bottom dropped out of contracting when clients were made aware of
what IR35 means to them and the market generally died with the recession.

For the record plumbers charges vary a lot. My experience is that rates
varied from £30 - over £100 per hour. That's similar to the spread I've
seen among contractors/consultants.

Also remember that contractors are not the same as consultants.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk