[Gllug] SPEWS (and Squid)

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 12:51:57 UTC 2003

> David Dammerel whined:
>>d) I suspect that many sysadmins that subscribe to Spews may not
>>necessarily be aware that it blocks whole IP ranges in this manner. I
>> was certainly considering
>>the possibility of using a blacklist  (hadn't got very far down the
>> road with my researches) and I naively assumed that such services only
>> blacked specific known open-relays.
>
> But as you would know from 5 minutes persual of the SPEWS FAQ, they are
> not an open relay listing service at all.

I can imagine that unfortunatly a lot of people that implement blocking
based on the spews list do not read the FAQ, and I can imagine that many
do make assumptions.

Whatever, I personally have seen 'collaterel damage' caused by netblock
incluson in RBL's so vast that I would never consider using one myself.
Luckily I have enough clue to discover this about any list I would
potentially use before I do so.

> I suppose I should not be surprised that most of the people posting to
> this thread have not actually bothered to discover the basic facts
> involved.

Oh, they haven't have they?  To quote you in a recent email:

"Momentarily ignoring the fact that your "basic truth" is a statistic
you made up, perhaps you should blame the sysadmins?"

David, you are a hypocritical troll, IMHO of course.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk