[Gllug] Re: role of UKUUG

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 11:58:00 UTC 2003

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:44:29AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
>
>>>How about a UKUUG sponsored project to reverse engineer/... the RM
>>
>>protocols.
>>
>>>Since (AFIK) RM don't operate outside of the UK, no one else will do it.
>>>
>>>Any volunteers to get together to do the work ? It would look good on a
>>
>>CV.
>>
>>I would shy away from this.
>>
>>But I would raise the issue of an educational Linux distro again.
>>We talked about the French  Debian-based distro last summer.
>>There's also Knoppix, which GLLUGites all like.
>>How about an educational-biased Knoppix?
>>We hand this out at shows, or pass on to teachers (and pupils!).
>

> I disagree. The point is that you will not install Linux as a big bang in
> a school, so there has got to be coexistance. The RM stuff does do some
> things that the schools like (such as managing pupil accounts) and so they
> will want to keep it.

I think I have mentioned this before.

A school I work at used to employ a student for a week to ten days to
make changes to user accounts at the end of every year.  It is a large
school and a change of a few hundred people arriving and leaving and
classes gaining responsability and therefore more changes to accounts.

I wrote a very basic script to add users to the domain, give them mail
accounts and set up their samba permissions.  This allowed all the users
to be addedd and removed within about 5 minutes with a list provided in
word(!) from the admin block :-)

This made Linux as a server much more popular; however they take 8
months to upgrade the NT4 to W2K; which was done as a learning experience.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk