[Gllug] IDE RAID

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Jun 11 16:50:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:07:33 +0100
"Simon Faulkner" <simon at titanic.co.uk> wrote:

> We have a requirement for a lot of storage on a server.
>
> I was thinking of using the Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A and 4 x 250 Gb IDE
> drives.

We've just been looking at the Adaptec 2120S SCSI RAID card and the
management interface eats up CPU. Needless to say we are not impressed.
Also we have a few AMI Megaraid IDE RAID cards in production that have
never given us any problems. However they are not in high performance
servers.

For a slightly more upmarket aproach you could try an IDE internal to
SCSI external RAID enclosure like those offered by Nexsan. Has the
benefit of hot-swap just like proper RAID.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk