[Gllug] identd -- any point?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:25:54 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, 17 Jun 2003, Tethys wrote:
>>Requiring systems making connections to run identd is not a matter of
>>expecting that information to be valid; it's a simple reflection of
>>the fact that if the systems that _are_ well run all used identd the
>>world would be a better places, and it encourages them to do so.
>This I don't. If a site has identd running, then by all means use it.
>But refusing to work unless without it is just brain dead. No amount
>of blackmail like this is going to encourage anything other than faked
>replies anyway.

This is not the case; I know of some sites that have made this change
in order to use IRC - and if you're going to run an identd you might
as well run one that does you some good (without exposing usernames).

I'm not saying that I think it's a good plan to try and force people
to run identd - I don't anymore than you do - but to suggest, as the
author of the URL mentioned before does, that there is no good reason
to do so is false. It's just that the miniscule benefits (perhaps one
or two sites start running it) do not generally exceed the penalties.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk