[Gllug] Access Database to MySQL / PostreSQL

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 13:45:05 UTC 2003

Daniel Ahrens wrote:

>Dudez, I'm a newbie to this list and this is my first post. I usually have a
>very extended sense of humour, so please don't misinterpret my posts too
>much. I like dry humour and cynicism. Also, I'm a bit forward sometimes, so
>bear with me. Of course  ur welcome to direct any flames to my personal mail
>box.

mmmmm another lurker emerges from the bar/undergrowth :-)

>For what it's worth:
>
>PostgreSQL is the superior product because it is fast, efficient but it is
>more difficult to set up because quite frankly, IMHO, it is more difficult
>to hack than MySQL. For non-mission-critical and non-secure data like a
>hobby project I'd use MySQL. If you've been using Access to crunch your data
>I suspect you won't need more than 64 000 records in which case a standalone
>relational database is probably overkill anyway. I'd look at an embedded
>solution.

This job falls into the category of 'it is not me who has to implement
it, but I will be blamed if it all goes wrong'

The access databases are written by someone who only 'knows' access 97.
There are about 16 databases, which are all pretty similar.

It would be a hard push to convince the Access developer to use Access
2000 (which is supported by Codeweavers, but is pretty expensive when
you start clocking up a few users)

The options I have considered are:

Stay as is and pay for the licences as the company grows.  Very
expensive and Access is neither fast or stable.

Upgrade to access 2000 and use the Access Developer runtime on Linux one
Access licence to purchase plus a few codeweavers licences

Third party to develop full system.  Quoted at £120,000 to move them to
MS SQL and still stuck on windows

Migrate to MySQL / PostgreSQL with some sort of front end - which is
where we are now.

The end users are telephone operators paid 8 to 10k per year full time
and hence I really want to produce a very simple front end similar to
the current one.  MySQL control centre is a little busy.

>As an IT Manager/DBA you should be able to set up both databases really.
>Even as a DBA you should be able to take on the installation role, since
>security is one of the main topics a DBA should (ideally) know backwards.
>Anyway, that is open to interpretation so I won't go into it more.
>PostgreSQL installs nicely on a Windoze box in the cygwin environment. Of
>course u can run it at the same time as your Windoze MySQL installation.

Looking to dump the whole of Windows.  Over the last four years we have
cleared out the NT4 mail server

>Have you considered writing your own front ends? They're not that difficult
>to do, if you know how to program.

..... not me and no cash in it :-)

Kind regards
Xander