[Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sun Jun 15 13:49:15 UTC 2003

<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10011>

Linux penguin dances tango in schools

Locally developed GNU software links Buenos Aires schools to the Net

By Fernando Cassia: Sunday 15 June 2003, 12:25
THE MAJOR OF Argentina's largest city, Buenos Aires, has gambled on Linux big time. I wonder if I will soon find little voodoo dolls resembling the incumbent center-left major Anibal Ibarra near Microsoft's local headquarters, specially now that he's seeking a re-election.

In any case, the move has been already made: public schools throughout the city are now hooked to the net thanks to UtutoR, GPL free software which stands for "Ututo Router". Ututo, is locally developed and CD-based Linux distribution developed by Diego Saravia at the Salta National University.

It is based on Debian GNU/Linux and SuSE. What sets Ututo apart from other distros is that it allows a full Linux desktop experience without even touching the system's hard disk, as it boots and operates from CD.

According to its creator, Mr. Saravia, Ututo got its name from "a lizard common in the Salta region that pokes its nose into every hole and is never at rest".

[edited]

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/