[Gllug] Re:SCO's Linux fight

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 3 21:03:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:58:32PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Adrian McMenamin writes:
>
> >As someone who works, albeit in fits and starts, on such a port (SH4) I am
> >not aware it has ever been otherwise! Maybe there were halcyon days before
> >2001, though.
>
> Yeah, at one point, alpha at least was kept pretty well up to date in
> the mainstream kernel. But since Linus went to Transmeta, he stopped
> using his Alpha, and the non-x86 ports definitely became second class
> citizens again. DaveM ensures that sparc64 stays reasonably current,
> and IBM are keeping s390 in sync pretty well, but it was definitely
> better in the past. Ho hum. Such is progress...

Linus himself may not be bothered about non intel stuff plenty are BenH
keeps ppc kernel development on track very little difference between
what will run on x86 and ppc based chips.

As an aside ppc has no -march CFLAGS such as athlon-xp or pentium-4
(which is buggy in gcc 3.2.2) don't know the reason why though.

Peace Jim

BTW my current contractor believes my Peace Jim thing may cause offense
in some quarters and has instructed me to stop using it on their emails.

War Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk