[Gllug] RH rpm upgrading

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Jun 6 13:59:02 UTC 2003

On Fri 06 Jun James de Lurker wrote:
> But to keep to the point, it doesn't matter how much better apt-get and
> Debian's packaging scheme is. It is still a packaging scheme, and any
> weirdness on the part of the _application_ developers' toolsets for
> maintaining that application are entirely opaque to said package manager.

Debian often changes parts of upstream packages to ensure a good upgrade
experience.  This often means rewriting utilities that come with the
software, or changing standard config locations and the like, to remove
sharp edges.

I was extremely sceptical of using third party packages, period - I had
always rolled my own, using my own shell scripts to manage packages and
relying on knowing software intimately to know how to upgrade it.  In
the time I've been using Debian however, I've been hugely impressed with
the quality of work that goes into it, and the effort that has been
spent at the architectural level to support that work.

doug.

--
As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action
arise, human science is at a loss. -- Noam Chomsky