[Gllug] NFS across firewall

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jun 9 14:59:24 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 06:37:56PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two boxen plugged-into a combo ADSL/switch.  Since they're essentially
> both plugged-into the Net (albeit with NAT done by the router) they both run
> firewalls, but I'd like to be able to use NFS to access one's files from the
> other (only one of them has a monitor).
>
> Can anyone tell me which ports I need to open?  Simply opening 111 and 2049
> for TCP and UDP doesn't seem to do the trick (I get 'mount: RPC: Timed out'),
> but I know that the rest of my set-up is OK because if I bring down the
> firewalls entirely then I can mount the exports.

I used to do this routinely (about 4 years ago at least now) using
an rpc-over-ssh program which I've just forgotten the name of. Anyhow
it allowed you to route all RPC traffic over a port-forwarded ssh
connection, and was a useful way to make NFS somewhat secure over the
Internet at large. Mail me if you can't google it.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj