[Gllug] IDE RAID

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 11 17:29:08 UTC 2003

I've used IDE and SCSI RAID very successfully in the past - using
software RAID in the Linux kernel, rather than hardware RAID. The
software RAID is fast and relatively trouble-free.

As for IDE vs SCSI? IDE is a LOT cheaper, and I've had plenty of
drives of both types failing. Unlike the other people who've posted,
I've seen no particular evidence that SCSI is any more reliable than
IDE. At my last-but-one job we had a stack of at least 10 drives of
both types waiting to be returned to the manufacturers for
replacement under warranty.

With the set up you were proposing - 4 * 250 Gb drives. I would use
RAID 5, and have one as a hot spare, so total usable space would be
500 Gb. If you need more space, buy more drives (figure on them
failing, so always have a hot spare to rebuild to).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj