[Gllug] There are no regular verbs in English (seriously OT!!)

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 11:18:05 UTC 2003

At 11:39 +0100 2003/06/19, Andrew Black (li) wrote:
> > Just to be pedantic, on the subject of the correct plural for anatomical
>> features previously mentioned,  I believe that the rule is basically,
>> using the example of 'cactus',
>> a) A field full of cactuses
>> but
>> b) many varieties of cactii
>
>The latin plural of cactus is cacti.  An example of 2nd declension is at
>http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~econrad/lang/ln2.html
>As to whether it is appropriate to use it in English is a matter of stlye
>(IMHO) rather than correctnes.

The "To boldly go..." debate (split infinitive) is an example of a rule from a dead language (Latiin) being applied to living, breathing, English by pseudo-academics, innit?

Perhaps adjectives in English should agree with the gender of the nouns to which they relate (as they go in most European languages)?

El Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/