[Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 12:37:03 UTC 2003

Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 9:24 +0100 2003/06/13, Allen Wayne wrote:
>
>>As I currently work in a school part time with around 40 RM based machines
>>the fact that RM do 'everything' is a bonus for a school. It breaks, (either
>>software or hardware) they call RM and out they come. I'd love to run Linux
>>on the server, but until school budgets cover the manpower required not just
>>for install, maintainance but also user training etc etc it just aint going
>>to happen. Use voulenteers I hear you say... Well that's all well and good
>>but not all schools are going to be able to call in a voulenteer at 9am on a
>>Monday morning when 'the printer is broke'. (and then it turns out to be
>>there is no paper in the printer!)
>>
>>Wayne
>

> Which is cheaper in the long run? Say 5 years....
>
> Microsoft servers or Linux (with or without Samba) servers (in schools or small offices)?
>
> {Not too worried what's on the desktop; was interested about the closed shop on Access as a database for A Level course work that Xander mentioned...}
>
> Gordo

The samba servers which I charged fifty quid an hour to set up in one
school two years ago have had no other interaction other than me
updating them from RHN every time I get a mail (which I do with many
other servers.)  The extra hour I have spent on that server I am quite
happy to leave within the price I quoted originally.

They are still very happy and so much so that two of the guys there are
now writing a full attendance and monitoring softare suite, which they
will release under the GPL.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk