[Gllug] First attempt at building a kernel

Pete Black pete at pblack.uklinux.net
Thu Jun 12 22:44:58 UTC 2003

A bug in a production linux  kernel that prevents it from even compiling?

I'm not sure I would agree with this assessment, especially if it is a 'vanilla'
kernel package from kernel.org

2.4.8 is some way behind the curve, but I have certainly compiled it without a
problem. It would probably be better to use 2.4.20 (mostly for security reasons)
but I would expect any vanilla 2.4 kernel to compile cleanly.

It is quite likely you simply need to back up your kernel configuration, and
run 'make mrproper', which will clean out any remnants from previous compilations.

Sometimes the package maintainers ship these remnants in the kernel source
package by mistake, so 'make mrproper' is a good idea before you start configuring
any new kernel.

you should then restore your config, do your make dep;make clean;make bzImage etc.

-Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk