role of UKUUG (was: [Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS)

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 11:38:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:44:29AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> > How about a UKUUG sponsored project to reverse engineer/... the RM
> protocols.
> > Since (AFIK) RM don't operate outside of the UK, no one else will do it.
> >
> > Any volunteers to get together to do the work ? It would look good on a
> CV.
> >

> I would shy away from this.
>
> But I would raise the issue of an educational Linux distro again.
> We talked about the French  Debian-based distro last summer.
> There's also Knoppix, which GLLUGites all like.
> How about an educational-biased Knoppix?
> We hand this out at shows, or pass on to teachers (and pupils!).

I disagree. The point is that you will not install Linux as a big bang in
a school, so there has got to be coexistance. The RM stuff does do some
things that the schools like (such as managing pupil accounts) and so they
will want to keep it.

It is also undesirable to replace *all* Windows boxes with Linux. Schools are
about education:

* kids need to know what they will be faced with, M$ is used in the real world,
  you need to be able to teach them how to use it.
* kids learn more if faced with a variety of products, they learn to read
  the menus rather than point & clicking.
* some educational s/ware is only available on windows, OK this will change, but ...

For this reason I think that schools should have some apple macs as well.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk