[Gllug] Wireless hardware

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 16:20:51 UTC 2003

Hi All,

I am finally going to buy some wireless hardware to free me from the
tangle of wires attached to my laptop.  I don't really know that much
about wireless however so I was hoping to get some advice from the list.
The basic setup will be a base station (a PCI wireless card in my
firewall?) and my laptop with a wireless card in it.  That is it.  I would
like to be able to run the firewall in AP mode if possible.  I would also
like to be able to attach an external antenna to the pcmcia card in my
laptop too.

People recommend Lucent stuff (in particular the orinoco card) and lucent
is now avaya and so I think one of the top two cards here might be OK:

http://www.technetium.biz/acatalog/Orinoco.html

Is it worth going for the gold (128 bit RC4 encryption) or will the silver
(64 bit RC4 encryption) bo OK?  Will the Linux drivers even support 128
bit encryption on a wireless card?[0]

Also, can anyone recommend a PCI wireless card that will act as an AP?  I
have had a look and the belkin site[1] and the F5D6001 seems to do the
job:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200435&pcount=&Product_Id=144544&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F

it get a mention on the consume site:

http://consume.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/WirelessHardware

It looks like I have pretty much narrowed down the hardware choices, what
does gllug think about these, and any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks
Will.

[0] I said I didn't know much about wireless!
[1] I emailed Belkin and they said that they were going to put linux
drivers on their website in 'due course' apparently.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk