[Gllug] User Internet monitoring

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Jun 12 14:59:37 UTC 2003

On Thu 12 Jun Stephen Harker wrote:
> After a particularly nasty run-in with an employee of the company I
> work for, I started running a report (
> http://web.onda.com.br/orso/sarg.html ) once a day which gives a
> breakdown of each PC's access and where and when sites were accessed
> and a bunch of stats. It has revealed a couple of interesting trends
> about certain peoples internet usage during company time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in the legalities of this sort of
> monitoring.  It states clearly in the network policy of the company
> (that all employees sign) that email will be logged and monitored and
> also that PC's found with inappropriate material will be deemed gross
> misconduct etc...

AIUI as long as you inform everyone that you will be monitoring these
systems, you are within the law.  It's illegal to snoop on them without
warning though, so do make sure you've told everyone.

IANAL, TINLA etc.

doug.

--
As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action
arise, human science is at a loss. -- Noam Chomsky