[Gllug] Fax/TAM - OT

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 07:53:21 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 18 Jun 2003 8:38 am, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck with a switch or device that will detect a fax call
> and divert it to your fax machine otherwise send it to answer machine?
>
> (I know that you can do it with Linux but I am hoping for a standalone
> solution)
>
> Simon

Yes.  It's actually a fairly trivial hardware issue.  When the TAM answers,
there will be a 2 second (approx) pause before the announcement starts, if
it's an "approved" one.  During this period, you need to detect the Fax
carrier tone (an NE 567 is your device of choice here), and push the
"receive" button on your Fax machine.  Connecting the Fax machine should
interrupt the telephone line connection to the TAM (which will cause it to
close down and reset, ready for the next call).

There are a couple of commercial products that try to do this for you (the
"Fax Friend" is one such), but none of them are very effective, as they try
to work purely on the telephone line side of the Fax and TAM.  It's much
better to internally modify the TAM, and do the job properly!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk