[Gllug] EU patents

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 14:45:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:15:37PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> The EU is moving in this direction because it thinks it will be good for EU
> trade etc. Not because the EU is evil. Use your brain before you intervene.
> Find examples of domestic software success and show how they are threatened.

A rough unsaid comment in the above is ''will someone else please do it''.
I'm not trying to flame Adrian in particular here, just that too many people sit around
moaning gently and eventually complain ''no one did anything''.

If you believe in something: get off your bum and do it; stop being a couch potatoe
and stamp your mark on this planet. You might never get there - but you will have
the satisfaction of having tried. Yes: it will cost you (time off work, etc),
but (abusing Kitchener) what will you say in 10 years time when your son asks
you: ``what did you do in the Patent war Daddy ?''

Just before you say that Alain does nothing: I am heavily involved getting the
law changed - see the link at the bottom of my mail.

> If you want to be martyred as a free-software-hippie though, step right up.

Not really - but someone has to. I do regard it as time spent that will remove
a threat to my fuure income. If this patent stuff is passed I can see that it
will make finding work more difficult.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk