[Gllug] Cat 5 Testing

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:58:08 UTC 2003

On Mon 02 Jun, Simon Faulkner wrote:

> Cat 5 testers seem to cost around 4000 which is outside our budget.
>
> Does anyone know of any other testers/software for Laptops?
>
> Simon
> (I've already discounted the continuity testers from Maplin etc)

   So-called continuity testers can find intermittent connections if they
are bad enough to go high resistance while hanging idle, especially if you
can move the cable around while testing. I have a tester consisting of two
ends, both of which can indicate an intermittent fault in the linking
cable(s), plus tools and connectors.
   I assume you have tried a temporary bypass cable.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk