[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Wed Jun 4 15:02:50 UTC 2003

At 11:11 04/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>FUD prove it and I will make a public apology.

There are not enough hours in the day to run anything but binary
distributions in a large scale datacentre.  The nodes do not have compilers
on, even if they did have the spare CPU time to spend all day compiling stuff.

Gentoo does do binary packages, I know.  However who do I think I'm more
likely to trust?  A bunch of relatively inexperienced kids who think being
bleeding edge is cool or several hundred rather grumpy debian package
maintainers who will start wars over minor changes that could possibly
break _their_ stuff.

Sorry, the grumpy geeks win every time.

Re. the dpkg via rpm (the tool) debate, I don't think they do the same
thing so any comparison is flawed.  rpm does not and cannot cope with
package configuration issues.  It dumps files to disk provided it think
dependancies have been met - it provides no upgrade path for configuration
nor migration for data.

Compare and contrast to debian's postgres package.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk