[Gllug] Access Database to MySQL / PostreSQL

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Jun 12 17:23:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Tethys wrote:

> >My experience of migrating a medium size (50MB) Access database to MySQL
> >was very pleasant. The database migration was very straight forward
> >indeed.
>
> I'd like to migrate some of ours, but they're huge (600MB or more).

That should not matter.

So long as you know what your data is (and is supposed to be in terms of
data definitions) it should still be fairly easy to migrate to something
better.

You will want to do so with a copy of the data rather than the originals
but that should be fairly easy.

> The biggest problem here is that a web browser is rarely the best
> way of presenting a user interface. Compared to using Access, it's
> slow, clunky and inflexible, and users *will* complain. The one
> redeeming feature of a web front end is that it's reasonably cross
> platform -- unless you use gratuitously incompatible HTML, which
> some of the software we've bought does :-(

There are other options if you prefer not to go with a browser.

OpenOffice offers a similar system to Access and is multiplatform.

Alternatively you could use Perl or Python with a suitable gui toolkit for
the interface.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk