[Gllug] Change size of ext3 partition?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 20:33:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Xander D. Harkness stipulated:
> Dylan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Is it possible to change the size of an ext3 partition? If so, what package do I need?
>> Cheers
>> Dylan
> I am not sure whether parted works directly on ext3; however you can treat it as ext2 and create a journal afterwards :-)

parted can handle it.

But if you want to go totally OTT, stick LVM on there, move back to
ext2, and apply the ext2 online resizing patch.

Bingo, you now can resize partitions and the filesystems in them
*without unmounting them*.

(I'm not sure if the ext3 variant of that patch is done yet; it wasn't
three months ago when last I checked.)

--
`It is an unfortunate coincidence that the date locarchive.h was
 written (in hex) matches Ritchie's birthday (in octal).'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk