[Gllug] Re: www.spews.org - spamming blacklist

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jun 3 06:27:05 UTC 2003

On Tue 03 Jun Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Fine - they should keep it to themselves then. I filter my own spam too,
> according to my arbitrary criteria. Unlike SPEWS, I don't try to force
> my viewpoint of what should be filtered onto others.

The real issue here is ISPs, who choose to use blacklists as a cheap way
of reducing the amount of mail they have to carry.  Certainly the
reasoning may be inspired by stopping spam, but it justifies
exploitation of ISP's users.  Those users pay for a mail service, and
they aren't receiving it, because perfectly legitimate users are unable
to send them email.

The economics of that argument may work for ISPs, but I really don't see
how it works for users.

doug.

--
As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action
arise, human science is at a loss. -- Noam Chomsky