[Gllug] Re:SCO's Linux fight

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Thu Jun 5 18:39:07 UTC 2003

Alistair Mann wrote:

> For instance, how many people object to the Americanism 'Fall' when we call it
> 'Autumn'? Did those same people know that Shakespeare called it Fall, and
> thus so did the English, long before the Americans? In this, and many other
> examples, American English is actually closer to the English of old than is
> British English.

There are rural areas of the Virginias and the Carolinas in the States,
where the population has been suitably detached from the rest of the
world for long enough that the accent and certain language constructions
persist from the seventeenth century.  Perhaps John Woo should have
remade Romeo and Juliet with a hillbilly named Roscoe and his cousin,
just to preserve the flavour of Shakespearean language.

Forgive my bad English, I'm American, so English is my second language.

Branden

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk