[Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 07:48:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 08:21:33AM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:

> ******
>
> EDUCASHUN NEWS (Private Eye 1082, 13-26 June 2003)
>
> MICROSOFT's annual renewable licences continue to drain cash from the
> UK's education system, where the company enjoys a virtual monopoly
> (Eye 1062).

The other big drain on schools is the virtual RM monopoly. I am working on my kids'
school to break that - and have lost the first round due to FUD, the head was
quite understanding/receptive when I talked about it ...

A few nice stories/examples of schools that have moved away and lived would be good.
I am (initially) trying to get PCs bought on the open market into the school
as a preliminary to getting some Linux boxes in.

One problem is the 'integration' one. One big RM FUD is that other boxes won't
work with their 'client connect' s/ware (authentication & simple admin).
I did hear a story of this 'failing' if the network card was not an RM bought one.

Does anyone know of a Linux client implementation ? (Server comes next).
If not this would seem ripe for a bit of reverse engineering.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk