[Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sun Jun 15 12:27:14 UTC 2003

At 9:24 +0100 2003/06/13, Allen Wayne wrote:
>As I currently work in a school part time with around 40 RM based machines
>the fact that RM do 'everything' is a bonus for a school. It breaks, (either
>software or hardware) they call RM and out they come. I'd love to run Linux
>on the server, but until school budgets cover the manpower required not just
>for install, maintainance but also user training etc etc it just aint going
>to happen. Use voulenteers I hear you say... Well that's all well and good
>but not all schools are going to be able to call in a voulenteer at 9am on a
>Monday morning when 'the printer is broke'. (and then it turns out to be
>there is no paper in the printer!)
>
>Wayne

Which is cheaper in the long run? Say 5 years....

Microsoft servers or Linux (with or without Samba) servers (in schools or small offices)?

{Not too worried what's on the desktop; was interested about the closed shop on Access as a database for A Level course work that Xander mentioned...}

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/