[Gllug] OT: step down transformers 230->110?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 07:38:26 UTC 2003

On Mon 09 Jun, Steve Nicholson wrote:

> I have guys bring some equipment over from Canada to install here. They
> have realised some of it wont run on 230VAC and haven't been able to
> locate step down transformers in Vancouver to bring with them.  Would
> anyone know where I can get that sort of thing here.  Maplins do them
> but only up to 300VA.
>
> Would like 240 in couple 15 amp 110/120 out - 4 out would even be
> better; in a rack mount if possible.
>
> I'm assume frequency difference won't be a problem.

   There are plenty of 240 - 110 volt isolating transformers available for
power tools, they are often 55-0-55 output with the centre tap earthed. They
are normally potted in a yellow container, and you need to check that the
power rating is for continuous use because the case may make cooling
difficult.
   A non-isolating 0-110-240 autotransformer should be smaller and cheaper,
and may be safe to use as long as the mains neutral connection is the common
terminal (CHECK SAFETY REQUIREMENTS).
   There are some transformer manufacturers listed in yellow pages, at least
two of the companies in the London north west yellow pages have been
established for many years.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk