[Gllug] Small installation

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 13:05:44 UTC 2003

Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:13:26PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I keep finding myself wanting to set up another box in a Debian
> > environment (i.e., all the other boxes are running it). Particular
> > requirements: <500MB disk space, needs to run X, needs to *not* be an
> > X-term only, as I'll probably want to run some other stuff on the box. I
> > particularly want to do this with machines with <120MB disk space
> >

> > Anyone got any preferred starting points for doing this?
>
> <500 MB is totally possible with Debian, although you won't have
> much free space to actually do any work if you want X as well.

That's been my previous experience - mounting /var/cache/apt/archives
over the network for update ...

> Debian's installer is very slow in 16 MB of RAM, but it does work. I
> installed Woody on a laptop with a similar config just two weeks ago.

Fortunately, install speed isn't a problem, as there are plenty of other
things to do during installation...

> As for <120 MB ... you could be in for a hard time. I never had a full
> Linux running in such a limited space even back in the original
> Slackware-on-30-floppies days. Is it not possible to fish out a
> second-hand hard drive and plug it in?

This *is* the second-hand hard drive! I'm trying to make use of a number
of old boxen as X term + Unix box - and the hard drives are, annoyingly,
the stumbling block...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk