[Gllug] problems with mysql database access

Alistair Mann alistair at lgeezer.net
Mon Jun 2 22:17:10 UTC 2003

Thus spaketh Sean Burlington on Monday 02 June 2003 10:48 pm:
> Alistair Mann wrote:
> >
> > Thus spaketh Sean Burlington on Monday 02 June 2003 6:51 pm:
> >>Hi All,
> >>	I came back from holiday -> apt-get upgraded my system (debian testing)
> >>and now php/mysql won't play nice
> >>
> >>command line works fine
> >>
> >>mysql -uschool -pbonfire school
> >>
> >>BUT
> >>
> >><?php
> >>     /* Connecting, selecting database */
> >>     $link = mysql_connect("localhost", "school", "bonfire")
> >>         or die("Could not connect : " . mysql_error());
> >>     print "Connected successfully";
> >>     mysql_select_db("school") or die("Could not select database".
> >>mysql_error());
> >>
> >>?>
> >>
> >>results in the following error
> >>
> >>Connected successfully
> >>Could not select databaseAccess denied for user: '@localhost' to
> >>database 'school'
> >>
> >>the logfile shows this ...
> >>
> >>030602 18:47:01      33 Connect     sean at localhost as anonymous on
> >>                      33 Init DB     Access denied for user:
> >>'@localhost' to database 'school'
> >>                      33 Quit
> >>

> >>Any ideas why the connection is being made as anonymous instead of with
> >>the details supplied ???
> >>
> >>I'm at the hair pulling stage ... and have a more confused system having
> >>tried uninstalling / re-installing things - seems like Debian doesn't
> >>like you to delete config files (RH never seemed to mind)
> >
> > Can I first suggest that you don't use automated upgrades? Things go
> > wrong when people lose track of what has been upgraded, where, and more
> > importantly, why.
>
> you can suggest it
>
> - depends what you mean by automatic
>
> I instigated the upgrade
>
> don't need to know *all* the details as to what and why
>
> maybe I should have paid more attention though ...

:-)

> > Next, can I suggest you obtain some version numbers of the software
> > concerned?
>
> Package: mysql-server
> Version: 3.23.49-8
>
> Package: libmysqlclient10
> Version: 3.23.49-8

The most recent MySQL production version is 3.23.56. Upgrade.

> Package: php4-mysql
> Version: 4:4.1.2-6
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libmysqlclient10, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4),
>
> Package: php4
> Version: 4:4.1.2-5

The most recent PHP production version is 4.3.2. You have an inherently
instable development version. Downgrade.

For your immediate problem, I suggest you restore from backups.
- --
Alistair Mann

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk