[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Mar 6 20:53:40 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Not at all.  The original intent of copyright law (along with patent
> law) was to coax creators to put their works out in the wild, rather
> than rely on secrecy, copy protection ("you can read this book, but
> only by coming to our reading room and paying a fee") and other means
> to protect their work.

Actually that is only true in the USA.

In the UK modern copyright came about when Queen Ann introduced it to
protect authors from the monopoly held by the printing houses who severely
abused authors and kept almost all of the profits from their works for
themselves - rather like the modern situation in many cases.

There was certainly no stated aim in the UK to encourage more such works
although it may have been a consideration.

As I understand it the Queen Anne copyright legislation was designed to
try and provide some protection for authors who at the time had none at
all - prior to that all copyright rested with the Crown if it existed at
all.

I understand that in France copyright law was also introduced to break the
publishers monopoly.

I don't know about any other country.

> If creative works were the same as property (i.e., with ownership
> rather than rights), you would be able to inherit ownership of the
> works of your grandfather and in turn pass them on to your children.

That does seem to be what the large copyright beneficiaries such as Disney
and the various labels/studios want to become of copyright.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		Get the T-Shirt Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk