[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Mar 7 10:48:28 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 10:25, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> A business that doesn't stand up to economic scrutiny, either.  The
> business of discovering drugs is heavily subsidised by government who
> provides the funds for the basic research on which the entire process
> rests.

A great deal of basic research in the UK is funded by charities,
such as the Cancer Research Fund, British Heart Foundation, MS Research
Trust.
I think it would surprise most people just how much basic medical
research is funded by these charities. (I used to work for what was CRC)
The NHS itself tends to do very little 'basic' research, concentrating
on projects of direct and short-term relevance.
There is the MRC of course which funds basic research, but I have no
idea of the charity/MRC proportions in medical research. Anyone?

The basic message being remember this come (say) the London Marathon.
The medical charities really do pay for researchers sitting at lab
benches.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk