[Gllug] Downright fun

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Tue Mar 4 21:05:12 UTC 2003

>> On 4 Mar 2003 16:21:38, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> said:

   > John reminded us that Linux is "downright fun".  So what are the
   > fun things you've discovered/built/got working under Linux
   > recently?

My first nomination goes with xbuffy, which is old-school but no-one
seems to know about it.  It's a multi-mailbox xbiff, and supports most
local mail formats (including maildir, which is what I'm using).  It has
a homepage at <http://www.fiction.net/blong/programs/>, and there's a
screenshot of my setup at <http://void.printf.net/~chris/lexis.jpg>.
The Perl script I'm using to generate my .xbuffy config file is also
on-line, at <http://void.printf.net/~chris/xbuffy.txt>.

Second goes to Gnus, which is an MUA inside {,X}Emacs, but also an NNTP
client and RSS aggregator; the plugin system it uses for backends means
that there have been many contributed transports for articles.  It's the
mailer in the lexis.jpg screenshot above.

I like having all my news gathered in one place, but I think the most
useful feature from this old mutt user's perspective is that I get a
summary view of the number of new articles in each of my maildirs/news
from two different servers/RSS feeds.  Gnus is at <http://gnus.org/>,
and my own config's up at <http://void.printf.net/~chris/dotgnus.txt>.

- Chris.
--