[Gllug] Cross-platform GUI

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Mar 7 13:12:47 UTC 2003

"Richard W.M. Jones" writes:

>Or some language + Gtk, but I'm not sure if there is a mature Windows
>port of Gtk, and I don't want the Gtk look-and-feel on Windows anyway.

Yes, it's relatively mature (to the point where GIMP runs quite happily
on it). But it doesn't have native look and feel. I personally don't
believe this is a problem. But others do.

>Perl/OCaML + Tk - does this have the native look on Windows? Last time
>I used Tcl/Tk it was a pain to do anything complex with the text widget.

Such as? I always thought the Tk text widget was quite straightforward.
Just appropriately tag the sections you want to work on, and it pretty
much does the rest for you. For what you've asked, I'd probably say
TkPerl is the way to go. If it were me doing it, I'd you something
(pretty much *anything* :-) other than perl. But Tk is almost certainly
your best bet. Use it with whichever language you feel most comfortable.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk