[Gllug] Downright fun

Allen Baranov allen at isa.co.za
Mon Mar 10 12:37:49 UTC 2003

On Saturday 08 March 2003 17:01, David Pashley wrote:

> I could scare you with bash one liners. ;)

I love those. The only one I have an issue is -> |sort |uniq -c |sort. There
has to be a better way. But I love awk to bits.

I guess I love software that I underestimate and then it suprises me. awk does
that. cpan has some neat stuff in it.

> I know I will probably get flamed for saying this, but if you really
> like up to date software, I would recommend that you give Debian
> unstable a try. Just to be fair, I should also recommend gentoo, but
> I've never used it so YMMV.
I've been using redhat too long to move across even though debian does
interest me. Maybe one day.... The software I support is also only officially
supported on RedHat so its my distribution of choice.

Gentoo interested me enough to download it and try it out but waiting 3 days
for an operating system without X is way too long for me. If I had a faster
PC and network connection then I'd give it more of my time. Sure it has X and
KDE support but after 3 days I'd had enough compiling and enough of the
bandwidth at work. Its an interesting distribution and I hope it goes far.

Allen Baranov

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk