[Gllug] Sharp Zaurus

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Mar 31 11:03:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Andy McGarty wrote:

> > Hmmm, I was looking at these things. AFIR the 5600 uses an intel processor
> instead
> > of ARM. Does anyone have comments comparing these 2 - battery life would
> seem to
> > be an important criterion.
>
> The 5600 battery is meant to be bigger, but I don't know if the new
> processor sucks more juice.
>
> I'd say the battery life of the 5500 is the only thing I hate about it.  My
> palm would last for weeks, but the Zaurus gives up the game after what seems
> like an hour or so!

Assuming you're talking about an older model Palm, try running it at 200MHz
with an actively-lit, significantly larger screen and a chunk more
newer-generation RAM, and see how the battery lasts :-)

Comparisions between the battery life of a Palm and an ARM PDA are similar
to comparisions between the battery life of an ARM PDA and a laptop - they
are different enough types of devices that the comparision has no technical
validity.  It does, of course, have real-world validity, but it simply comes
down to people wanting more and more from their devices, and battery
technology not quite keeping up...  For what it's worth, I think the newer
iPAQs have something like 2000mAh batteries in them... which is
pretty huge, and over 50% bigger than in the early model iPAQs, never mind
Palms...

> Andy

Cheers
Richard