[Gllug] lirc and Hauppage TV card

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Mar 20 09:53:09 UTC 2003

On Wed 19 Mar, Xander D Harkness bloviated thus:
> I am trying to get the IR port on a Happage TV card working.
>
> I have the lircd.conf from www.lirc.org and the lirc daemon starts okay.
>
> The device /dev/lirc is a link to /dev/ttyS0 which is okay for a dongle
> but I am guessing that it is not correct for the TV card as I get no
> output from irdadump.  All I get from the log is notices of stops and
> starts.

The docs for lirc are appalling.  The key thing I can point out to you
is that most of the utilities and docs refer to the self-built
hardware, not to bought serial hardware.  For serial you _don't_ need
the modules.

All you should need to do is install the appropriate /etc/lircd.conf
for your remote.  Try a search on google (I have a RealMagic one, so
can't help you).

Next you need a section for each app that you want to use in your
personal .lircrc.  The .lircrc maps between the buttons defined in
/etc/lircd.conf and their function in different applications.

For example,

 begin
    button = FF
    prog = mplayer
    config = seek +1
    repeat = 1
 end

This maps the ">>" button on my remote to seek 1 (not sure the units
but it's pretty fine) ahead in the stream, for mplayer.

The .lircrc I can give you, with settings for mplayer and xmms.  Just ask.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "For those who've come across the seas
  We've boundless plains to share"
- Advance Australia Fair, Australia's national anthem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk