[Gllug] Life of hard drives

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 07:40:22 UTC 2003

Hello,
   I see that Seagate now claim a MTBF of 1200000 hours (just under 137
years) for some of their drives. This does not mean that they are expected
to last that long, just that they claim to have few failures at the bottom
of the "bathtub curve" between initial failures and end-of-life. The safe
design life looks like about 5 years. This of course comes at the price of a
very fast but expensive drive aimed at servers. Most of the less expensive
drives seem to have a design life of a year or so, although I understand
that Seagate have a generally good reputation overall.
   I would like to find a drive that does not need to be fast, or noisy, but
has as long a life as possible. Are any drives made which have the same
amount of trouble paid to bearings and manufacture, and are also designed
not to thrash the bearings?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk