[Gllug] Life of hard drives

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 01:11:16 UTC 2003

Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I bought a Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 40GB less than 2 years ago
> from Simply Computers and it's already making threatening noises.
>
> Just bought a Maxtor 80GB - while investigating what type to get I
> discovered that IBM give 3 years guarantee. Western Digital, Maxtor and
> Seagate now only give 1 year.
>
> Not sure what it means but I don't feel it bodes well.

I have had two Fujitsu drives fail in the last year or so. I actually
rang up a data-recovery company once and talked to the engineer. My
question was "Which drives DON'T you see in your workshop very often"
He said he thought Maxtor "Diamond Max" were very good IDE drives but I
can't remember what he recommended for SCSI. It wasn't Fujitsu I
remember that much :-)
IBM SCSI 10000rpm Hard drives make strange squeeking noises but
apparently that's normal?!
SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk