[Gllug] OT hardware recommendations

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 19:46:36 UTC 2003

Hi All,

I am building a new PC for my Dad  as he has decided it is time to upgrade from
the AMD K2 400 he is running at the moment, and am hoping for some advice on the
hardware.  I am going to install win2k on it aswell as Linux and it is going to
be used for:

- Scanning/image manipulation
- Maybe some  some video manipulation taken from the DV camcorder that they have
(has what looks like a firewire connector)
- Word processing.
- Surfing the Information Super-Interweb
- Not games (well, minesweeper of course)

The plan is to maybe install the OSes on the IDE disk and using the SCSI disk
for things like storing images/video on for the speed.

I have compiled a shopping list (below) from scan.co.uk, but have some questions.

- The scan 17" TFT screen seems pretty cheap, what is the catch?  Would it be
better to go for a 17" CRT for the same price?  What are peoples experiences of
these?

- If my Dad is going to be doing 3D work, will a consumer 3D card make much
difference, or are these more useful for 3D games acceleration?

- SCSI disks, I assume that U320 is faster than U160, will he notice the
difference, it is worth splashing out for the extra speed and controller.

- I know nothing about SCSI, is the controller I have selected OK?  Anyone got
any suggestions about what I should go for?

- Memory, Should I spend the extra for ECC, and would there be a benefit for
going for branded RAM?

- Any recommendations for a motherboard?  I have no clue here...

- UPS: Are these make any good from peoples experience?

- Can anyone see anything obvious that will not work with Linux?

---------------------------------
shopping list
---------------------------------

Monitor:
17" XIOD TFT (Samsung) IM17SM 1280x1024

Case:
SuperMicro SC-760 ATX Tower Case (Without PSU)

PSU:
350W Enermax EG365AX-G-FMA PSU with Manual Fan Control/Temp Control 2Yr

Firewire card:
3 Port D-Link DRF-A3 FireWire card Retail inc. cable + software

Sound card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 4.1 PnP PCI

Graphics card:
128Mb ATI Radeon 9000 TV Out OEM

Motherboard:
?

CPU:
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ *333 FSB* (2.17 GHz) "Thoroughbred"

Memory:
512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Major) - x2

SCSI disk:
73GB IBM 68Pin LVD 4.9ms 10Krpm 8Mb cache U160

SCSI controller:
Adaptec AHA-29160N Ultra-160 OEM 'Entry Level Server'

IDE disk:
80Gb Maxtor D740X ATA-133 (7200rpm, 2MB Cache) Quiet Drive Technology 1yr

CD writer:
Plextor 48x24x48 IDE Re-Writer Retail Kit Inc Media/Software
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=37449

UPS:
350Va - Liebert - Powersure Proactive (10 mins)

The collective expertise and opinions of the group are much appreciated :-)

Many TIA
Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk